Month: July 2008
“A little while back, we covered the release of WordPress 2.6 here on Open Ended. Since then, we’ve seen an incredible welcome for the newest version of the #1 blogging and content managment system on the internet. Matt Mullenweg, the creator of the open source system, has published a blog post with some astonishing statistics.
- Since the release, there have been around 23,000 daily downloads – approximately 345,000 total.
- The tutorial video posted along with the release notes has been viewed over 665,000 times.
- There are over 201 thousand blogs using 2.6 already, about 9% of all known WordPress.org blogs in 10 days.
- There have been over 300 themes submitted to the brand new Theme directory, released around the same time as 2.6.
- In the same period (10 days) there were 579,871 downloads of 2,527 plugins from the official plugin directory.
Matt also mentioned that many users wait for the .1 version after a new upgrade, so he expects to see these statistics to grow even more once 2.6.1 comes out. Only a very small amount of users have reported problems, and this upgrade seems to still be going very smoothly compared to those past. With many large corporations such as CNN and the BBC using WordPress, the CMS that was once an underdog seems to be growing and expanding all the time”