Month: August 2009
Gary sent me this recipe because he knows I love my breakfast of champions food…Pop-Tarts! OK I’ve been given a hard time for eating them so I have cut way back but man they are tasty.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cold water for mixing
- 1 cup homemade preserves/jam from organic fruit such as apple, apricot, cherry, wild blueberry, cherry, mango or your favorite fruit flavor
- Powdered sugar
- Note: Choose an organic store bought jam if you don’t have time to make your own.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the flour in a bowl with the salt, sugar, and cut the butter into small pieces. Work the flour and butter together with your hands, until the mixture is well blended. Sprinkle the water over the mixture to smooth out the any small irregular clumps. Work the dough vigorously until it is relatively smooth. You may also use a food processor, if desired. Wrap in plastic and let the dough rest 30 minutes.
- Roll out the tart dough on a cold lightly floured surface. The dough should be about 1/8″ inch thick. Cut rolled out dough into 3″ by 5″ shapes, using a postcard as a visual gauge. (For smaller tarts, simply use a smaller measurement.) Cut 8 rectangles, and use a pastry scraper to place 4 bottoms onto cookie sheet lined with parchment. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of jam onto the center of each pastry of the 4 bottoms. Place the 4 pastry tops onto the jam centers, aligning the corners. Press the edges with a fork, until each tart is closed, working around the entire rectangle. (These may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen.)
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tarts are golden brown. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
– Benjamin Franklin
When I was driving back from Portland almost a month ago I took this picture using my iPhone. I stopped for a milkshake at Burger King (I love me some ice cream), but found the drink recipes fascinating so I took a picture of it. If you try them let me know if they are any good.
A young man struggles against the pressure to Twitter his life away. From SuperNews! An animated sketch comedy series airing on Current TV.